Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Radio Silence... Broken!

At long last, I am able to update here. I haven’t been neglectful. I haven’t even really been lazy. I have, however, been without an internet connection. So, having taken much too long to get started, I think I’ll just start from the beginning and work my way from there. Don’t worry. I don’t want to write a long post any more than you want to read it, so I’ll break it up a bit as we go.

I was born on a Sunday afternoon in October... wait a minute. That’s too far back. What if we just start when Teriann and I moved to London? Splendid.

We landed on September 2 (although in crossing the Atlantic it became 2 September). Our landlady was nice enough to pick us up from the airport (how we would have carried four bags each on the tube, I have no idea), and when we pulled up in front of the house, it was raining -- I mention it because as of today, the 29th, in spite of or because we steadfastly carry our umbrellas everywhere with us, it hasn’t rained since.

The house is everything we could have asked it to be. In addition to the pics on the older post, here is a slightly different pic of the lounge.



I really like the beaming on the ceiling. It's in our room too and it adds a bit of character. Here's the staircase (from the entryway),



and the entryway from the staircase.



We originally said that we’d post pictures of the room when it was actually ours, but, since it’s the same furniture but a bit more messy, the old ones will have to suffice.

Our first day was, as one would expect, the most jarring. We didn’t go into the city, but our Irish housemate Ed took us down to the local grocery store to show us around. Ed’s a fantastically nice guy, but he walks and talks very fast, so after jogging to the store and asking him to repeat about half of what he said, we were almost too exhausted to notice that all the groceries were different. What is Weetabix? Coco Rocks? We stuck with fairly familiar stuff like Frosties (Frosted Flakes).

Our housemates are all really nice, and hopefully whoever is reading this will get to meet them. Perhaps a post about them is in order... 

No comments: